October 20, 2016

TBT #51 - Review: Ricochet (Vigilantes #1) by Keri Lake


★TBT #51★

On this week’s #ThrowbackThrusday we bring you Keri Lake's Ricochet. Apart from having one hell of a cover, this story is quite original, fast-paced, loaded with action, heavy violence and numerous other disturbing factors!


Title: Ricochet
Author: Keri Lake
Series: Vigilantes #1
Genre: dark, romantic suspense

The only sure way to destroy a man is to take what he cannot live without.


Three years ago, I had everything.

A beautiful wife. A son. A reason for living.

Until a ruthless task force, assembled under Mayor Michael Culling, with a brutal strategy to make the streets of Detroit ‘safe’, ripped away everything I loved in a deadly hunt called The Culling.

They tried to kill me, too. I wish they had. Now I'm cursed by the memories of that night, and the words I whispered to my dying wife.

A promise—to avenge the wrong and set it right.

I’m no longer Nick Ryder. I’m a masked vigilante. Faceless. Loveless. Fearless. A man with nothing left to lose—one who's seen the dark and violent truth behind the city’s flawless veneer.

Michael Culling doesn’t know who I am. Or what I want. All he knows is that I’ve kidnapped his beautiful wife.

An eye for an eye—isn’t that how the saying goes? And Aubree Culling is the perfect pawn to destroy him.

If she doesn’t destroy me first.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






SANDY’S REVIEW


***3.5 stars***


I was unsure about rating this book for a long time-it wasn’t bad, I liked it for the most parts but certain elements didn’t work out for me. Let me break down this review to my likes and dislikes!

What I liked:

Cover -Ok! This has nothing to do with how I feel about the story but damn that cover...those eyes...

description

having a cover-orgasm here people!

Writing – This author is new to me so I didn’t know what to expect but after reading just few pages she had my undivided attention, I was transformed to the world of Nick Ryder. Writing is simply elegant, eloquent and very lyrical.

Story - Quite original, fast-paced, loaded with action, heavy violence and numerous other disturbing factors! This is story of Nick and his relentless need for revenge, a man whose family was tortured and killed in most horrific way right in front of him, who was almost killed alongside his family. Now after three years of planning and plotting he’s set out on a path of vengeance. HIS STORY WILL MAKE YOUR HEART BLEED!!
"To defeat a monster, I had to become one."
It was gripping, angsty and very much dark, author did not try to sugar coat any horrendous event I mean, at times I had to take a break just to stomach certain act of violence and non-consent sex! Kudos to the author for delivering such a raw-gritty-dark story.

What I didn’t like:

Romance -I understand this wasn’t the center of focus but whatever romance was presented in the book was completely smothered by sex. Right from the time he kidnapped her there was a huge sexual tension between them, for me it was the case of insta-love. Of course, after everything they went through, they definitely deserve loads of love and HEA’s but I really couldn’t connect to them nor understood their feelings for each other. Those romantic dialogues were so cheesy, I skimmed through most of them. By the time his true motives for kidnapping Aubree was explained, it was too late for me to feel their love.

Sex -Too many and too BORING!!!

description

This author writes one hell of a dark book I give her that, but those sex scenes? I rather read Nick torturing those assholes!

Plot twist - What was the point of this? We guessed it early on and at no point it was emphasized to even realize there’s going to be a major revelation/twist. Even after it was revealed there was less information about it all along and wrapped up quickly. Luckily I read it with a buddy who happens to be a med student and cleared certain things out. I still believe this author could have done so much more with it.

A special mention to “Michael Cunning”- I’ll make it clear, he doesn’t fall to my ‘dislike list’ and I hate that bastard to even consider in my ‘like list’ but his character is so ruthless, intimidating, a sucker for power and domination he just made this book ten folds more interesting. I would just love to hate/kill this bastard with my bare hands. Such a psychotic, conniving, inhumane character deserves to be on-screen, *cough* Game of Thrones *cough*.

♥BR with bestie Eda♥

ARC kindly provided by the author via NetGalley, for an honest review.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up