August 04, 2016

TBT #42 - Review: Fighting Silence (On the Ropes #1) by Aly Martinez


★TBT #42★
Aly Martinez 's Fighting Silence (On the Ropes #1) is on this week's ‪#ThrowbackThrusday. It's is one of the best, friends to lover’s premises I’ve read to this date. It didn’t just spoke volumes of friendship but it truly brought all the aspect of love, life, sacrifice, and struggle to light.


Title: Fighting Silence
Author: Aly Martinez
Series: On the Ropes #1
Genre: new adult, romance

Sound is an abstract concept for most people. We spend our lives blocking out the static in order to focus on what we believe is important. But what if, when the clarity fades into silence, it's the obscure background noise that you would give anything to hold on to?

I've always been a fighter. With parents who barely managed to stay out of jail and two little brothers who narrowly avoided foster care, I became skilled at dodging the punches life threw at me. Growing up, I didn’t have anything I could call my own, but from the moment I met Eliza Reynolds, she was always mine. I became utterly addicted to her and the escape from reality we provided each other. Throughout the years, she had boyfriends and I had girlfriends, but there wasn't a single night that I didn’t hear her voice.

You see, meeting the love of my life at age thirteen was never part of my plan. However, neither was gradually going deaf at the age of twenty-one.

They both happened anyway.

Now, I'm on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life. Fighting for my career. Fighting the impending silence. Fighting for her.

Every night, just before falling asleep, she sighs as a final conscious breath leaves her.

I think that's the sound I'll miss the most.

Each book in this series can be read as a standalone.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






SANDY’S REVIEW


***4.25 Magic Window Stars***

“I was okay.
She was okay.
We were okay.
Nothing else matters.”
description

Fighting silence is one of the best, friends to lover’s premises I’ve read to this date. It didn’t just spoke volumes of friendship but it truly brought all the aspect of love, life, sacrifice, and struggle to light.

Till Page and Eliza Reynolds have been friends since they were thirteen. It was one night when Till learnt the bitter truth about his life and he turned to an old building to hide from his misery that he first acknowledged Eliza. It was in that moment of their bickering, he forgot all about his troubles and since then he never missed a night with her. The abandoned apartment became their escape from reality, and Eliza his ultimate FANTASY.

description

They were always aware of the budding love between them, but for years they never crossed that line. Till feared that being in a relationship might ruin their friendship and he might lose her forever. He couldn’t risk the one chance with normalcy and peace he found with Eliza, but least did he know Eliza couldn’t imagine her life without him, that her love for him had no boundary.

description

Though the romance was a major part of the story it also focused on lot of domestic issues. Till being the eldest of three, always felt responsible towards his brothers (Flint & Quarry,) as their parents always neglected them. The whole relationship between the page boys and Eliza was heart warming, also contributing to many LOL moments. This rarely is seen in NA romance where the secondary characters played a major role in the story development, also where do you get to see different dimensions to the MC’s-they go from being friends, soul mates, neighbours, lovers to be a family.

This is my first book from Aly Martinez and this definitely won’t be last. If it wasn’t for RL I would’ve finished it in one sitting, this is kind of story which will suck you in from the beginning and brings characters to life. The way she weaved the story between the past, present and the beautiful description of the setting made is unbelievably real. The very emotion and dynamic between the characters, truly made me part of their lives, and that my dear friends is sign of an amazing writer.

All the characters were very much lovable and easily relatable; I loved that Till stepped into a role of a parent and practically raised his brother’s, keeping them from being homeless, providing them all the love and care that he and Eliza didn’t experience.
“I had you and you had me.
That’s the way it’s always been.
Well, now, Flint and Quarry have you,
but guess what, they have me too.”
 
So why not 5 stars then?
I hate to keep a track of age and events when there is time leaps and this particular book had plenty of them. I did ignore the annoying voice inside my head which kept rolling it’s eyes every time there was a jump in the time, yes! It was a necessary evil to show the bonding between the MC’s but towards the end I lost my patience.

Honestly though it won’t ruin the story for you (that’s just me being a picky bitch), it’s still beautiful and this strong love and connection that Till and his “Doodle” Eliza share is so MAGICAL, something YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE.

Lastly, that Chapter with Flint’s POV…. W.T.F???!!!
Can’t wait to see how his story turns out!

No comments

Post a Comment

+up